Change is the ultimate need of man and his surroundings. Man has constantly made efforts to cope while bringing revolutions- from food to technology, education and transport, and nonetheless – clothing. The fabric world is full of innovations, and in every instance, trends keep changing.
The fabric world has kept evolving, from the material of the fabric to the pattern of stitching. Clothing materials and fashion are generating constant changes.
The fabric industry has been known to serve multiple purposes, from covering one’s body to being used as a decorative material. Fabrics may be woven, knitted, or stitched. One lesser-known fabric is crochet, which we are less acquainted with; however, it’s a familiar material with our mothers as well as grandmothers.
But you should not lose your heart, as here is a short guide for you that gives all the necessary details regarding the crochet bobble pattern that you will love to explore.
Crochet Stitch: The Patterns
The next curiosity in the readers’ mind will be what is a bobble stitch. Hold on, curious ones. Keep in mind not to confuse this crochet stitch with the puff and popcorn stitches or the other variants of the crochet pattern.
Crochet bobble stitches are a combination of 3 to 5 incomplete half double crochet coupled with each chain, which is restricted by a single stitch of crochet. Now, let’s come to the second stitch, the popcorn one. First, insert the hook onto the chain. Next, the hook is pulled through all the 3 loops.
And last but not least is the puff stitch. The puff stitch is also 3 to 5 incomplete half double crochet again crumpled in a chain differentiated by an individual crochet stitch. The bobble stitch is quite similar to the bobble pattern but uses less yarn.
Material Required for a Crochet Bobble stitch
To turn your dream of weaving a beautiful scarf, blanket, shrug, or any other wearable using the crochet bobble stitch into reality, you need three things: a yarn of desirable quality, a hook of the recommended size, and a pair of scissors. All these things are easily available, so you do not need to go on a mission to arrange them all.
How to Crochet a Bobble Stitch?
The process of bobble stitch is quite simple- you need to finish a single crochet stitch, which is to be followed by another single crochet for the remaining row. The process, when repeated, will result in a ‘bobble’- giving the pattern the name ’bobble crochet stitch.’ However, the technique can be simplified in a step-by-step fashion for finishing the crochet stitch.
Step1: Wrapping the Yarn Over the Hook
The first step technically is the assembling of the crochet requisites. Having assembled the needful, you have to wound your yarn over the needle. The yarn should be woven around the hook. The hook should be inserted into the specific stitch.
Step 2: Yarning Over the Hook Again
The second step requires the yarn to be rehooked. For this, the yarn over should be redrawn across the stitch. This pattern should be drawn to mark three loops on the needle.
Step 3: Yarn Over to Yield Two Loops
Now, once again, redraw the hook through two loops. Once the hook is pulled across the two loops, this yields two loops on the knitting pin. When you do this, you will get your first stitch.
Step 4: Yarning over the Hook
The hook should be yarned over. The yarning over should be drawn across the remaining two final loops. And now you are done. Congratulations on making your first crochet bobble stitch. Repeat the same until you weave your clothing material. If you wish, you can add colorful yarns to stitch a more vibrant sweater or scarf; this will be exceptionally beautiful.
The Crochet Bobble Stitch: Varieties
There is no end to the number of clothes you can make using crochet bobble stitch. A few variants of crochet bobblestitch include:
- Blankets: The crochet blanket uses the bobble pattern to be knitted into a beautiful, cozy, and warm blanket to provide comfort in the cold. So, this winter, beat the winter chills with a self-made cozy crochet blanket!
- Bobble crochet scarfs: The hazy winter days are here, and you are worried about headaches due to the cold. But, this winter you needn’t bother about the cold. Beat the cold with a bobble crochet knitted scarf. Flaunt your self-knitted bobble crochet scarf in different colors and raise the temperature.
- Bobble crochet tops: Now, this must be something you have never heard of. So, sway in style with a bobble crochet knitted top to flaunt your jeans in the cold of winter.
- Bubble crochet cushions: Do you want to decorate your living room with something unique? Here is a novel tip for you for your living room. Try a self-crafted bubble crochet cushion or bolster for your sofa.
- Bubble crochet table covers: Are you tired of your usual market table tops? So this time, try a tabletop with a new twist- a bobble crochet table cover and let everyone wonder where you purchased your table cover from.
- A new project cover: Yes, you heard that right. The crochet bobble stitch can be integrated into your project file. Imagine a project cover with your name bulging outwards in fabric. It will add to your project and assignment grades.
Advantages of Crochet Bobble Stitch
If you are a creative learner and want to explore new stitching techniques and patterns, then the crochet bobble stitch is certainly the best option for you. The advantages of the crochet bobble stitch are summarized below.
- Looks very attractive: The crochet bobble stitch pattern looks highly attractive and creates an eye-catching pattern. It is a good option for creating warm clothes, especially blankets, socks, etc. It will make your blanket stand out and also make it the center of attraction wherever it is used.
- Can be easily customized: The crochet bubbles pattern can easily be customized as you can easily experiment with this size according to your preferences. You can create both warm and simple designs for socks, scarves, blankets, etc., using this pattern.
- Can help elevate the basic patterns: If you want to add a unique dimension to the basic crochet pattern, you can add a crochet bobble stitch; this will instantly elevate the look of any basic pattern.
- Fun to work on: The crochet bobble stitch might look difficult to make initially, but once you get familiar with the pattern, you will find out that it is a great activity that will not only enhance your creativity but also make you enjoy working with it.
- Can be easily customized: While working on crochet bobble stitch, you can add as many colors as possible to make a colorful and vibrant blanket or top. The best thing about bobble stitching is that you can weave colorful bobbles for a unique design.
Alternatives for the Crochet Bobble Stitch
If you want to replicate the bubble stitch pattern but are looking for an easier alternative, then you can go for puff and popcorn stitches. It’s hard to distinguish between the three of them, as they are so similar in appearance. The reason behind their similar appearance is the pattern in which they are made.
This stitch works on the wrong side of the row. A puff stitch uses the least amount of yarn. If you are looking for a lighter alternative to crochet bobble stitch, you can consider puff stitch. Even if you are looking for a good crochet stitch option for sweaters or tops, you can consider puff stitch for your next project. It can be easily made, and the steps involved are also very simple and basic. In addition to this, you can add any number of steps or loops to the puff stitch to make thinner or bigger puffs.
Popcorn stitches are generally easy to make as they can be made on both the wrong and right sides of the row. Moreover, it is also a great option for beginners to work on. But there is one more thing that should be kept in mind while working on popcorn stitches: it uses the maximum amount of yarn when compared to puff stitch and crochet bobble stitch. So, if you are looking for a heavier blanket, you can go for popcorn stitches.
Essential Precautions Required for Crochet Bobble Stitch
When working with the crochet bobble stitch, there are a few precautions that you must keep in mind for your project to be successful. A few of them are mentioned below.
- Use the yarn depending upon the wearables you are making: The most important thing for any project to be successful is using the desired material. For example, if you are making a blanket, you should use supersoft yarn. On the other hand, for clothes like sweaters, you can go for acrylic yarn.
- Always use a hook of the recommended size: To obtain a uniform pattern throughout your clothes and for the longevity of your wearables, use a hook of the recommended size. The size is mentioned on the yarn; therefore, before beginning with the stitching work, check the package of the yarn once.
- Hold the hook in the correct position: If you don’t hold the hook in the correct position, you are at risk of developing hand strain. Moreover, it can also cause issues like non-uniform consistency, irregular patterns, etc.
Keeping the principle of “ change is the only thing that is constant,” man has always strived for change. He has experimented with every known thing to him and is still striving for achievement of the same. The fabric and textiles industry, too, has been subjected to the same.
Experiments have been done with the materials of fabrics and with the patterns of stitching. This article summarizes the use of one such fabric- the crochet fabric and one of its stitching patterns- the bobble stitch pattern and how it differs from its other two patterns, the puff stitch and the popcorn stitch.
Once you go through the process, you will realize how easy and enjoyable it is. It will boost your creativity to the next level. So, what to wait for? Read this article and make something new for yourself, your family, and your house.